Cut It Out: Removing Background Noise With VLC
Removing unwanted background noise is a challenge that’s all too familiar to our fellow filmmakers. And although you might never have the perfect amount of silence during filming, there are a few steps you can take to minimize unwanted sounds when it comes to the post-production process.
The guide below will show you how to address two common issues with VLC in three quick steps. Later, we’ll show you another way to rid your project of even the most stubborn background distractions—using royalty-free music from our fully-stocked audio library.
How to Remove White Noise in VLC:
1. After you open VLC, select View from the drop-down menu. Click on Show Audio Effects Button.
2. Navigate to the bottom right corner, where you’ll find the Audio Effects icon. Once you’re in the Audio Effects folder, select Equalizer. This will allow you to begin the process of deleting or muting each unwanted sound manually, one band at a time.
3. After you click Enable, begin playing your selected audio track, adjust the volume up and down for each individual band, until you find the specific band that has to be muted. (The disruption could be in one or multiple bands, so keep repeating this process to make sure that the sound is gone entirely.) Don’t forget to turn the other bands back up after you isolate the one you want to delete.
Join Our Creative Community
Access the best video tips, design hacks, and deals straight to your inbox.
How to Remove the Hissing Sound:
1. Click on View, then on Show Audio Effects button.
2. Once you’re in the Audio Effects folder, click into Spatializer.
3. Uncheck Enable Spatializer.
And voila, you can kiss that hiss goodbye.
If you aren’t able to resolve a particular issue, you can also insert background music into the video to mask the remaining noise.
Here is a short sample track may resolve any leftover issues. Audio can even be used to suggest a certain mood, create a theme, or simply to set your video or advertisement apart from the rest.
Tune in to our audio library to find the perfect full-length song or sound effect to complement your next project.